Thursday, March 13, 2014

The Little Things Thursday - this week's smiles

I am pretty easy to please.  I like simplicity.  I am not particularly a frou-frou or bells and whistles kind of person.  For the most part, I am all about function.  There are of course exceptions to this, but it doesn't take much to make me smile.  It is the little things.  I think sometimes as busy people, we (generally speaking) forget to stop and smile at the little things, and reflect on them.  I have decided to start a weekly "Little Things Thursday" to have a place to document my week's little things. 

For some reason today, I am full of smiles at little things.  I thought I'd share a few. 

Seeing Gift come out of her room this morning dressed in a pair of pants my mom made, that really made me smile.  I miss her so very very much, and I am so thankful to have little reminders of her.

On that note, praying on the rosary that my mom gave me for my birthday two years ago, the last birthday I had with her alive.  It is so special to me, and I use it daily, and I think of her each time I pray it.

We have a lot of crazy and silly little conversations that always keep me joyful.  The girls are very entertaining.  This morning we were having a conversation about compliments and how to receive them.  One child who shall not be named has a habit of, when complimented on her appearance, especially by her family, say things like, "Oh, that's not true."  or "You are so wrong."  (It's a phase, I am sure, since I went through the same thing.)  Another child who shall not be named has a habit of pushing peoples buttons and saying things that she knows annoys her siblings.  Anyway, we were talking about what to say when someone compliments you, even if you don't believe them, so as to be polite.  Joyful (who is prone to not "getting" most social niceties) said, "If a girl tells me I look pretty, I say, thank you, so do you.  If a boy tells me I look pretty I say <insert smirky smile here> thannnnnnnnks!"  We were all cracking up. 

Gift made me smile when she asked a sister to sharpen a crayon for her and she told her, "It's okay if you have to take the skin off." 

I love being able to open the windows today and air out the apartment.  Those days are going to quickly come to an end here in FL. 

I love that each week, Mr. Cat takes the little one to her story group and the older girls to choir and I have a blessed hour and a half to myself.  Last night I smiled because he was able to stop at the farmers stand on his way home and we had a huge local fresh salad with dinner.

So, those are some things that made me smile this week, things that weren't exponential in the big sense, but they were to my heart.  These are mostly from the last couple of days, because I have a rotten memory, but in the future, I will try to keep track of things through the whole week, and post them each Thursday.

I'd love to hear from some of you.  What are your "little things" this week?

No comments:

Post a Comment